The oil you drizzle on your salad or use to cook foods can have a profound effect on inflammation and in some cases specifically on brain inflammation.
Trans fats: Also called trans fatty-acids. Strongly correlated with systemic inflammation. Years of research has led to policy changes that have banned and/or phased out trans fats in an increasing number of markets.
- Inflammatory Markers Are Positively Associated with Serum trans–Fatty Acids in an Adult American Population
Olive Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). Use this at every opportunity. This is probably a large reason the Mediterranean Diet has been shown to protect against Alzheimer’s.
Temple University in the U.S. found the following about EVOO:
- EVOO reduced inflammation in the brain
- EVOO improved Alzheimer’s related behavioral deficits
- EVOO increased levels of synaptophysin, a protein found in healthy synpases
- EVOO reduced the levels and deposition of insoluble Aβ peptide
- EVOO lowered the amounts of phosphorylated tau protein
- EVOO activated cell autophagy
EVOO also contains omega-3 fatty acids shown to be neuroprotective:
Canola Oil: May contribute to Alzheimer’s.
- The mouseheimer’s study comparing memory […]